Abo is one of three sites of the Salinas Pueblo Missions near the small town of Mountainair in central New Mexico. It is located about 10 miles east of Mountainair just off Hwy 60. The other two sites are Gran Quivira and Quarai.
Of the three, Abo was the first constructed - construction of the church began in 1621. When he Spanish arrived in the mid 16th century, Abo was already a pueblo site inhabited by Native Americans.
Abo was abandoned in the early 17th century and later permanently inhabited by Hispanic settlers in the mid 19th century.